3/11/11

Pay It Forward

A blog I follow (it's one of my favorites, you should read it sometime) posted a link to an article called The Tire Iron and the Tamale. Go on. Go read it...

It's an inspiring story with an important lesson/reminder. For me, it is a combination of:
1) We should treat others how we want to be treated
2) Pay It Forward (remember that movie?)

I'm not going to go off on a big moral lesson about the importance of being kind to others and doing good in the world. I am just sharing these things as food for thought. The article got me thinking. It made me want to improve myself. I thought maybe someone else might find it inspiring as well.

I do believe we have a big impact on others, no matter how small the gesture. Doesn't someone being nice to you just brighten your whole day, which in turn makes you nicer to others? I know that kind words, a surprise package in the mail from a friend, a stranger giving me her extra coupon in a store as I'm about to pay full price...little tiny things make me smile inside, and then I want to share that happiness with someone else. I pass it on.

These scenes from Cougar Town are a humorous take on the idea.

Circle of Love


Circle of Anger


On a more important scale, the article is about doing a big thing for someone else. Being selfless. Being kind. Putting someone else's needs ahead of your own. And from that one act, the recipient may go on to do the same for someone else. Just like the idea in Pay It Forward.



What an amazing thing to think about. I hope you go out today and do something as small as smile at a stranger or say thank you to someone who needs to hear it, or maybe you're brave enough to take some time out of your life to really help someone who needs it. I hope I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment